Monday, June 23, 2008

Ground turkey w/ tomatoes and brown rice


My first post...


This is a favorite in my house. One evening this past winter, I had an inspiration. Well a food inspiration. It was one of those nights where the dinner you planned starts to unravel as soon as you walk in the door. No bread, no rice, no potatoes. This night, I searched and search my kitchen and this came together. I have only made it with 97% ground turkey but have a friend how has made it with ground chicken and said it was just as yummy.


Ground Turkey with tomatoes and brown rice

1 lb of ground turkey - 97%
1 medium onion – chopped small
4 cloves of garlic – crushed
1 pt of grape tomatoes
2 cups of chicken stock
2 Tbsp of olive oil
½ tsp of oregano
½ tsp of parsley
¼ tsp of basil
½ tsp of Adobo
1 cup of brown rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop onions and garlic finely (I use a food processor) and split between a saute pan and a sauce pan. Add olive oil to both. Heat the sauté pan on high and cook the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in ground turkey and begin to cook.

While the ground turkey is cooking, chop the pint of tomatoes into small pieces (I also use the food processor for this).

Once the turkey is cooked, take off the heat and drain. Heat the sauce pan on high and cook the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add the brown rice and stir thoroughly. Add ground turkey, tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir thoroughly again. Add spices and stir. Bring to a boil. Once brought to a boil, turn it down to medium low and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Makes 4 servings.


2 comments:

Kristan Anne said...

Ummm...super freakin delicious. It's on our menu every week. I love to top this with green onions.

I can't thank you enough for this recipe, girl! *smooch*

Toby Levy Lowe said...

I'm the one who made this with chicken! It was super yummy. Adam loved it too. I need to make it again soon.